Rapid Relief Team Report – Picton/Bargo/Tahmoor Operation – 17th October 2013
Facts & Figures:
- What was the main operation: The residents from Bargo and the surrounding area were evacuated at about 3pm. They came to the Picton Main Hall and the Tahmoor sports oval.
- How many people were cared for: We cared for 250 at the Main Hall.
- What food was provided: There was; cooked chicken pieces, hot chips, sausage sizzle, salad, cakes, biscuits, cold drinks, coffee & tea, water.
1. Pru Goward—(State Minister for Community Services) after she arrived and introduced— “this is a wonderful setup and you people are doing an excellent job. We can’t thank you enough.”
2. Jai Rowell—(State Member for Wollondilly) “this is excellent. Well co-ordinated and we didn’t have to tell you what we wanted—you have just done it and done it extremely well. This is a tremendous effort for the community. We certainly appreciate the willingness to let us use your Church. It has wonderful amenities. Your young people are wonderful, polite, respectful and beautiful. We had no idea how well the Church has been built and so well designed. We didn’t have anywhere to put these people till Ben (Noble) rang and offered help. This is above and beyond our expectations.”
3. General Public—“we can’t thank you enough. The food was wonderful. Organised so quickly and professionally. We thought you people were a sect—but this isn’t what a sect would do, this is what Christianity is. We are very impressed. The young people are so nice and polite, helpful, respectful, happy and caring. We didn’t even know you existed but we will remember what you have done for the community. No one has ever helped the community like this before.”
4. The Mayor (Ben Banasik)–“I don’t know how to thank you- please come to the council chambers on Monday evening so we give you a presentation at the chambers.”
We had comments like how organised we were as we had only found out at around 3 pm.
“The food is beautiful and you are so kind to come and do this for us” – fire-fighters
“You are little Angels” from residents to Courtney.
“We are going to use the brethren for every disaster we have, this is amazing!” – From the fire-fighter support chief.